Monday, October 09, 2006

Helping hands

Yesterday we took the kids from our neighbourhood to one of the local Salvation Army Corps (as we do every Sunday) but it was a little different this week because it had been raining. Usually after church we take them all back home and then feed lunch outside but because of the rain we chose to make up the food at church and serve it up there in the gym. I was asked to cook the food (macaroni and cheese) which I was totally happy to do because serving is one of my spiritual gifts and I get to feed the kids (it's really a blessing and I can not understand how some people could see it as a chore).

I was cooking in the kitchen and on of our newer kids came into the kitchen and was so keenness on helping that although there really wasn't anything for him to do, I welcomed him and his heart that wanted to bless his friends by helping feed them. So he helped me by putting cold water on the pasta (which could have just sat under a tap) and putting the powdered cheese in the pot (more ended up on the floor than in the pot) but it was just such a blessing to see his smile and his willingness to help and try to express his love to those who were eating and without even telling people that he helped cook it.

I just wanted to share with you all the blessing that I experienced when I was able to see a 7 year olds heart wanting to humbly serve his peers and leaders. Helping hands brought a blessing to many. Myself as an observer and the 30 kids that he helped feed.

No comments: